Planet Prepaid Visa Card Personal / General Spend Card Terms and Conditions of Use
1. The card
- 1.1 These terms and conditions apply to any holder of this card (‘the card’). By using your card, you are demonstrating your agreement to these terms and conditions.
- 1.2 The card is promoted by Planet Payment Group Holdings Limited (co-brand partner) and issued by Wirecard Card Solutions Limited, registered office: 3rd Floor, Grainger Chambers, 3-5 Hood Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6JQ, registered in England with registration number 07875693, and authorised and regulated in the United Kingdom by the Financial Conduct Authority to issue e-money (Firm Reference Number: 900051).
- 1.3 You will receive your card in a stated currency. All references to that currency in these terms and conditions are relevant to you.
- 1.4 The card is an e-money product, and although it is a product regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, it is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. In the unlikely event that Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd becomes insolvent, funds are protected against claims made by creditors.
- 1.5 These terms and conditions are available online at planetprepaid.com. You can request a copy of these terms and conditions at any point in their duration.
In these terms and conditions, the following words and phrases have the meanings shown next to them:
ATM – means automatic teller machine or cashpoint facility or cash dispenser or cash machine
Business day – means a day on which the relevant service provider is open for business as required for the execution of a payment transaction
Card – means your Planet Prepaid Card (including any replacement card)
Card scheme – means Visa
Fees – all charges and penalties, if any, payable by you to the card provider for or in relation to services linked to a card
Fee Information Document – The section that includes notification of charges, limits and restrictions associated with the card
Maintain the card – The card provider operates the card for use by the customer
Payment transaction – means an act, initiated by the payer or the payee, of placing, transferring or withdrawing funds, irrespective of any underlying obligation between the payer and payee
PIN – means personal identification number i.e. the security number provided for use with the card
Purchase transaction in currency of card – The customer uses their prepaid card to make a payment in the currency of the card. This can be in store, online or over the phone
Purchase transaction out of currency of card – The customer uses their prepaid card to make a payment in foreign currency. This can be in store, online or over the phone
Planet Prepaid Card – means a card with the features set out in condition 3.1
Verification of identity – means your personal identity and address confirmation by conducting electronic verification of your details or by you providing documentation of identity
Receiving money from outside the UK – When money is sent to your card from outside the UK
Refusing a payment due to lack of funds – The card provider refuses a payment from your card because there is not enough money on it
Supplier – a retailer, merchant or other supplier of goods and/ or services which accepts payment by means of a card, card number, PIN or card and signature
Supplier’s bank – the merchant acquirer used by the supplier for the purposes of receiving payments arising from transactions
We / us / our / card provider– means Wirecard Card Solutions Limited or co-brand partners we act on behalf of
Year – 12-month period following the date when the card is issued to you and each subsequent 12-month period
You / your / customer / consumer – means the person or persons who have received the card and are authorised to use the card as provided for in this Agreement
3. Use of the card
- 3.1 The card is a prepaid product which can be used to pay for goods and services at suppliers that display the card scheme symbol. To use the card, present it at the time of payment. Use it in full or part payment of your purchase.
- 3.2 When you receive your card, depending on the type of card you have you may need to retrieve your PIN before you can use it. Please follow the instructions you receive with your card. Activation will be automatic after 10 days of receipt, if you need to retrieve your PIN you can do so online at planetprepaid.com and following the online prompts to retrieve your PIN.
- 3.3 You must not make purchases that exceed the balance of funds available on the card. You may check your balance on your online statement by visiting planetprepaid.com. Your balance will be reduced by the amount of each purchase you make. If any purchase takes you over your available funds or the card limits in force from time to time and set out in condition 3 the transaction will be declined.
- 3.4 You can use the card to make purchases in-store, online or over the phone. The card cannot be used to obtain cash through ATMs. There is no cash back facility. This is not a debit card supported by a bank account and is not in any way connected to a bank account. It is also not a guarantee card, charge card or credit card. You will not earn any interest on any funds loaded on to the card.
- 3.5 You must not use the card for:
- 3.5.1 pre-authorised regular payments;
- 3.5.2 transactions at self-service petrol pumps;
- 3.5.3 buying goods or services from adult or gambling suppliers, over the phone, online or in store;
- 3.5.4 transactions for cash including for example ATM, cash back, cash from a bank, money orders, traveller’s cheques, foreign exchange, or bureau de change; or
- 3.5.5 any illegal purposes.
- 3.6 Your card cannot be used in situations where it is not possible for the supplier to obtain online authorisation that you have sufficient balance for the transaction. For example: transactions on trains, ships, and some in-flight purchases.
- 3.7 We may stop, suspend or restrict your card or PIN on reasonable grounds relating to:
- 3.7.1 the security of your card, card number or PIN; and
- 3.7.2 the suspected unauthorised or fraudulent use of your card or PIN.
If possible, we will inform you that we intend to stop, suspend or restrict your card or PIN before we do so and the reasons for doing this. If we are unable to do so then we will inform you as soon as possible. The requirement to inform you does not apply where it would compromise reasonable security measures, or it would be unlawful to do so.
- 3.8 We are not responsible for the quality, safety, legality, or any other aspect of any goods or services purchased with the card. We are not liable for the failure of any supplier to honour the card.
- 3.9 We will not issue the card under these terms and conditions to anyone under the age of 18 years old, any issue of a card may be subject to successful verification of identity and residency.
- 4.1 You agree that any use of your card, card number or PIN constitutes your authorisation and consent to a transaction.
- 4.2 The time of receipt of a transaction order is when it is received by us. If a transaction order is received after 6pm on a business day then it will be deemed to have been received on the next business day. If receipt does not fall on a business day then it will be deemed to have been received on the next business day.
- 4.3 You cannot stop a transaction after it has been transmitted to us by you giving your consent to the transaction, or once you have given your consent to the supplier for a pre-authorised payment.
- 4.4 We may refuse a transaction. We may do this if the relevant phone or computer link is busy. We may also do this if:
- 4.4.1 a transaction might take you over your available funds on the card; or
- 4.4.2 we reasonably believe that we need to do so to keep to the rules of the card scheme under which your card is issued; or
- 4.4.3 we reasonably believe that there are needs to do so to comply with any law or as a matter of good practice.
5. Foreign currency transactions
- 5.1 The card can be used for transactions which are not in the currency of the card.
- 5.2 If you make a transaction in a currency other than the currency of the card, we will convert the amount into the currency of the card at the wholesale market rate or any rate that a government may set. We will charge a service charge (commission) for this service, see Fee Information Document.
- 5.3 Exchange rates may change, and the exchange rate which applies on the date that you make your transaction may not be the same as the exchange rate we use on the date that we convert the transaction charge and deduct the service charge from your balance. The exchange rate applied will include this service charge. You can check the exchange rate used .
- 5.4 Your online statement will show the exchange rate and service charge applied.
6. International Payments
- 6.1 If you have a card which allows you to make overseas payments, the way we treat payments made to payment service providers outside the European Economic Area (EEA) will change as will payments in the non EAA currencies to payment service providers within the EEA and unless stated otherwise, your terms and conditions will apply equally.
- 6.2 You’ll no longer be able to pay charges for anyone you are making a payment to within the EEA (regardless of the currency of the transfer).
- 6.3 The European Economic Area (EEA) includes all the member states of the European Union, Iceland, Norway and Lietchtenstein.
7. Checking your balance & Statements
- 7.1 To check the available balance on your card or to review your transactions visit planetprepaid.com.
8. When your card expires
- 8.1 Your card is valid for a period of 6 months. You must not use the card after its expiry date. Any funds un-used on your prepaid card after the date of expiry (6 months from issuance) will not be available to spend.
- 8.2 A dormancy fee will be applied to your card after the 6-month expiry, see Fee Information Document.
- 8.3 You may contact us after the expiry date and request a new card or an alternative method of payment.
- 8.4 Once the card balance reaches zero, this agreement will automatically terminate and your right to use the card will cease.
- 8.5 If any balance remains on the card for more than 6 years after the expiry date, it will not be refunded.
9. Money paid to your card by accident
- 9.1 We can already return money paid to your card by mistake, however, if you do not think a payment made to you from a payment service provider in the EEA was a mistake, we may also be allowed to share your personal information with the paying payment service provider so that you can be contacted directly.
- 9.2 This is because we are required to cooperate with other payment service providers and share all relevant information in order to assist with tracing money which is sent to the wrong person.
- 10.1 You must sign your card as soon as you receive it and keep it safe. You must always make sure that you:
- 10.1.1 do not allow anyone else to use your card;
- 10.1.2 do not reveal your PIN (if applicable) and never write down your password(s), PIN or any security information you have given us unless you do this in a way that would make it impossible for anyone else to recognise any of that information; and
- 10.1.3 only release the card, card number or PIN to make (or try to make) a transaction.
- 10.2 If your card is lost or stolen or someone else finds out the PIN or if you think your card, card number or PIN may be misused, you must:
- 10.2.1 call us immediately on +44 (0)2035 030 291 (This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls are charged at your standard network rate, calls from mobiles may be higher) so that we can stop your card and PIN;
- 10.2.2 if we ask, write to us within seven days to confirm the loss, theft or possible misuse (the address is PO BOX 3753, Chester, CH1 9UH United Kingdom); and
- 10.2.3 stop using the card, card number or PIN immediately. If you find the card after you have reported it lost, stolen or misused, you must cut it up and tell us as soon as you can.
- 10.3 If your card, or any replacement card, is lost or stolen, once you have reported it you can request a replacement by calling +44 (0)2035 030 290 (This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls are charged at your standard network rate, calls from mobiles may be higher). We will charge a fee for the replacement card. This is set out in the Fee Information Document.
- 10.4 You may not be liable for any use of the card, card number or PIN by another person who does not have your permission to use it or if it is lost, stolen or destroyed, unless:
- 10.4.1 you agreed to that person having your card, card number or PIN, or through negligence or carelessness, failed to comply with condition 10.1, in which case you may be liable for any use that occurs before you tell us in accordance with these terms and conditions; or
- 10.4.2 you acted fraudulently then, to the extent permitted by law, you may be liable for misuse of the card, card number or PIN.
- 10.5 You may only be liable to a maximum of £35 (or equivalent currency of your card) up until the time you inform us that your card has been lost or stolen unless you have acted fraudulently or with or gross negligence. You will not be liable for any losses which occur on your card after you have informed us that it has been lost or stolen. If you're due a refund for an unauthorised transaction, we'll make sure you receive this no later than the end of the next business day from when you informed us of the unauthorised transaction.
- 10.6 If your card is used without your permission, or is lost, stolen or if you think the card may be misused, we may disclose to law enforcement agencies, any information which we reasonably believe may be relevant.
- 10.7 We will not be liable for:
- 10.7.1 any abnormal or unforeseeable circumstances outside our reasonable control (for example, a failure of computer systems which happens for reasons outside our reasonable control or any industrial action which happens for reasons outside our reasonable control) if this prevents us from providing its usual service;
- 10.7.2 any person refusing to accept or honour (or delays in accepting or honouring) your card, card number or PIN; or
- 10.7.3 for the way in which you are told about any refusal or delay in making a payment from your card.
- 10.8 In case of errors or disputes about transactions, call us on +44 (0)2035 030 290 (This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls are charged at your standard network rate. Calls from Mobiles may be higher).
11. Altering these Terms and Conditions
- 11.1 We may change any of these terms and conditions, including fees and charges, or introduce new terms. If we make any changes, we will give 2 months’ prior written notice to you.
- 11.2 If we change these terms and conditions, the new terms and conditions will be available at planetprepaid.com from the date the change takes place.
- 11.3 You will be deemed to have accepted any change to these terms and conditions unless you notify us of any objection before the proposed date of the change.
- 11.4 Between receipt of the notice and the proposed date of change, if you notify us that you do not accept the change, this agreement will terminate immediately and subject to there being no misuse by you of your card as set out in condition 10 you can redeem your total remaining balance at that time without charge.
12. Cancellation rights
- 12.1 If you change your mind about having the card, you can cancel it within 14 days of the date you receive the card by calling us on +44 (0)2035 030 290 (This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls are charged at your standard network rate, calls from mobiles may be higher). You will not be charged for canceling the card during this period. We will refund any balance remaining on the card to you and any fees that you have paid.
- 12.2 Where possible we will convert the balance on your card into the currency of the nominated card or bank account you choose to have the refund paid to.
13. Ending this agreement
- 13.1 We may terminate this agreement at any time. Unless there are exceptional circumstances, we will give you 2 months’ prior written notice.
- 13.2 You can terminate this agreement by calling us on +44 (0)2035 030 290 (This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls are charged at your standard network rate, calls from mobiles may be higher). Your right of termination is subject to there being no misuse by you of your card as set out in condition 10 and subject always to any prior use of the card by you which you will be bound by.
- 13.3 This agreement will terminate if you do not redeem your full balance within 6 years of your card’s expiry date. In advance of that, you may use the card, in accordance with any instructions issued by us from time to time, until the card balance reaches zero, at which time this agreement will automatically terminate and your right to use the card will cease.
- 14.1 By entering into this agreement, you agree that we may use your information in accordance with the ‘How we use your information’ section of these terms and conditions, as set out in condition 17.
- 14.2 We may monitor and/or record telephone calls between you and us or service providers.
- 14.3 We may need to contact you urgently if we suspect or find fraudulent activity has occurred on your card (provided we are not prohibited from doing so by law) or if we suffer a security threat. To do so, we may (for example), where possible, send you a text message instead of calling or emailing you, if you think this is the quickest way to contact you. When we contact you, we will also give you the information on how you can minimise any risk to your card depending on the nature of the security threat.
- 14.4 We will use the same contact details which you have already provided us with when contacting you. You must inform us immediately if your personal details or contact information change.
- 14.5 We may transfer our rights or obligations under this agreement or arrange for any other person to carry out its rights or obligations under this agreement. You may not transfer any of your rights or obligations under this agreement.
- 14.6 We can delay enforcing our rights under this agreement without losing them.
- 14.7 If we cannot enforce any paragraph, condition or part of a paragraph or condition under this agreement, it will not affect any of the other paragraphs, conditions or the other part of the paragraph or condition in this agreement.
- 14.8 This agreement and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it (including in relation to any non-contractual obligations) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales.
- 14.9 All disputes and claims arising out of or relating to this agreement (including in relation to any non-contractual obligations) shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales, to which the parties irrevocably submit.
- 14.10 The language of this agreement is English, and all notices and information given under this agreement will be in English.
15. Payment services information
- 15.1 This condition 15 only applies if the supplier’s bank is located within the European Economic Area (EEA) and the payment services being carried out are transacted in Euro, or another currency of an EEA member state.
- 15.2 We will ensure that a transaction you make is credited to the supplier’s bank, or that returned funds following redemption or cancellation are credited to your card within these timescales:
Type of Transaction
Transaction carried out in a currency other than Euro (€) or Pounds Sterling (£)
Transaction involving more than one currency
By the end of the fourth business day following the day on which the transaction or order is received
Any other Transaction
By the end of the business day following the day on which the transaction order is received
- 15.3 If you use your card or provide your card details to a supplier to make a transaction before you know the amount which is going to be charged to your card, then you may be entitled to request a refund if the amount is unexpectedly large, provided that you tell us within eight weeks from the date the transaction is deducted from your balance but you will NOT be entitled to a refund if you have been told by us, or the supplier, of the amount of that transaction at least four weeks before the transaction is due to be deducted from your balance, and you consented to the transaction.
- 15.4 On receipt of such a request under condition 15.3, we may require you to provide us with the information to ascertain whether the conditions in condition 15.3 have been met. Within 10 business days of receiving a request from you under condition 15.3 or of receiving any additional information required under this paragraph, we will provide a refund or justify why we are refusing the request.
- 15.5 We are liable for the correct execution of the transaction unless we can prove that the transaction was received by the supplier’s bank, in which case the supplier’s bank is liable to the supplier. You may request that we make immediate efforts to trace an incorrectly executed transaction and notify you of the outcome.
- 15.6 When a supplier initiates a transaction, it is the supplier’s bank which is liable for the correct transmission of the relevant details to us. If the supplier’s bank can prove that it is not responsible for a transaction which has failed or has been incorrectly executed, we will be responsible to you.
- 15.7 If you give us the wrong details for a payment or you tell us about an incorrect payment more than 13 months after it was made, we won't give you a refund, but we'll try and trace it for you. We may charge you a reasonable fee to cover our costs in doing this.
- 15.8 We are not liable if you incorrectly identify the supplier under a transaction. In such a case, we will make reasonable efforts to recover the funds involved.
16. Complaints and how to contact us
- 16.1 If you would like to make a complaint, or contact us for any other reason connected to these terms and conditions please contact Customer Services on +44 (0)2035 030 290 (This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, calls will be charged at your standard network rate. Calls from mobiles may be higher), or write to us at PO BOX 3753, Chester, CH1 9HU United Kingdom or email us at email@example.com.
- 16.2 We will send an acknowledgment letter or email or text to inform you upon receipt of your complaint within 15 business days.
- 16.3 We will try to resolve any complaints you have about your card or the service we provide to you within 15 business days of receiving your complaint and in exceptional circumstances, within 35 business days (and we will let you know if this is the case).
- 16.4 We have procedures in place to make sure that we handle your complaint fairly and quickly. However, if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can write to the Financial Ombudsman Service at Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange, London E14 9SR (Telephone number: +44 (0)20 7964 1000).
17. How we use your information
- 17.1 We may search your record at credit reference and fraud prevention agencies. These searches are to verify your identity and we do not carry out full credit reference checks or credit scoring for this purpose. We will use an automated decision-making system to verify your identity.
- 17.1.1 If we are unable to verify your identity adequately, we may ask you to provide some documentary evidence to help confirm your identity and address.
- 17.2 Credit reference agencies may check the details you supply against any particulars on any database (public or otherwise) to which they have access. An unrecorded enquiry will be made. An unrecorded enquiry is a search that was not made for lending purposes. It cannot affect your credit rating or score when you apply for credit. It is not seen by lenders other than the one that carried out the search. It is included on your credit report, so you know the search was made but does not affect your credit rating, or score, when you apply for credit.
- 17.3 If you give us false or inaccurate information and we identify fraud, we will record this with fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information.
- 17.3.1 The fraud prevention agencies will share records with other organisations. We and other organisations may access and use the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies overseas.
- 17.3.2 Please phone us on +44 (0)2035 030 290 (This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls are charged at your standard network rate, calls from mobiles may be higher. Calls from mobiles maybe higher) if you would like details of those credit reference and fraud prevention agencies. You have a legal right to these details.
- 17.3.3 You have certain rights to receive a copy of any information we hold about you. Please write to: PO BOX 3753, Chester, CH1 9UH United Kingdom.
- 17.4 Some information held by credit reference and fraud prevention agencies will be disclosed to us and other organisations to, for example:
- 17.4.1 to prevent fraud and money laundering, by checking applications for credit, credit-related or other facilities, proposals and claims for all types of insurance, job applications and employee records, and to verify your identity;
- 17.4.2 the information held by these agencies may also be used for other purposes for which you give your specific permission or, in very limited circumstances, when required by law or where permitted under the terms of the General Data Protection Regulation Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) and any data protection legislation from time to time in force in the jurisdiction of issue of the card.
- 17.5 When you have an agreement with us, we may use the following types of information about you:
- 17.5.1 information you give us, or we already hold about you, including any phone number you call us from, which we may record;
- 17.5.2 information we receive when making enquiries and searches in your name with credit reference and fraud prevention agencies;
- 17.5.3 information (including details of payments and transactions) we may hold about your card, and
- 17.5.4 information we receive from anyone who is allowed to provide us with information about you.
- 17.6 We will process, use, manage, control, release and record information about you to:
- 17.6.1 search credit reference and fraud prevention agencies’ records (including information from overseas) to manage your card;
- 17.6.2 manage your card, and any agreement or correspondence you may have with us;
- 17.6.3 carry out, monitor and analyse our business;
- 17.6.4 contact you by post, by phone or in another way about other products and services which we consider may interest you if you tell us that you wish to receive direct marketing;
- 17.6.5 fight fraud, money-laundering, terrorism and other crimes, and
- 17.6.6 keep to any laws or regulations in any country.
- 17.7 We may reveal information about you:
- 17.7.1 to any person working for us or our co-brand partner;
- 17.7.2 to fraud prevention agencies;
- 17.7.3 to any organisation which backs any of our products which you hold;
- 17.7.4 to any payment system under which we issue your card;
- 17.7.5 if a payment is processed through a worldwide payment system, to certain authorities in order to detect and prevent terrorism (including authorities outside the UK);
- 17.7.6 to any person to whom we transfer any of our rights or obligations under any agreement we may have with you, and
- 17.7.7 to anyone you authorise us to give information about you to.
- 17.8 Processing your information, as described above, may involve sending it to other countries outside of the EEA including the United States of America. In such circumstances we are responsible for making sure that your information continues to be protected.
- 17.9 We will keep information about you for 6 years or as required to meet legal obligations.
US Dollar Card
Maximum balance at any time
Maximum monthly load
Maximum annual load
Maximum single card payment
Daily ATM withdrawal limit
Annual ATM withdrawal limit